On 24/04/2012 1:24 PM, Wayne Fay wrote:
The parent has a 1.0 with no RELEASE OR SNAPSHOTs and the
child poms do not specify the version explicitly.
Unless you are actively making a release, your version should almost
always have the -SNAPSHOT qualifier appended to it. So if you are
working on version 1.0, then your pom should show version 1.0-SNAPSHOT
until the brief moment in time when you perform the release -- then it
will be 1.0 -- and then immediately after it should bump to version
1.1-SNAPSHOT.

<spring.batch.admin>1.2.1.RELEASE</spring.batch.admin>
<spring.data.version>1.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT</spring.data.version>
I can't speak for everyone, but I am definitely not a fan of declaring
dependency versions in a tag like this. It just makes things more
complicated. When I open a pom, I want to find the version right there
along with the GroupId and ArtifactId in<dependency>  or
<dependencyManagement>. Managing versions with properties is not a
best practice IMO.
If you have the same dependency in many modules and you want to ensure that all developers are using the same version since you likely want it as "provided", you will have a lot of maintenance to do.

My "management principle" is that version selection is a project management/team function and the developers of individual modules should not be concerned about the versions of shared dependencies. If they find a problem with the version selected by the team, then this should be raised to the team level.

Specifying versions in module level POMs opens the door to a module having the wrong version during the build which can show up as a method not found if the module was built with a version later than the one provided at runtime.

Ron

Wayne

Ron Wheeler
President