Thanks Ron

The other fly in the ointment is that this is an IBM shop and we are
required to develop in IBM's RAD flavor of Eclipse.  That doesn't mean we
can't add plugins - only that we can't go to STS.

I have the project layout pretty clean - with one artifact per project (jar
library, executable jar, war/ear).  There are three top level applications
that come out of the workspace - an ear and two runnable jar files.  The
jar libraries are shared across the three applications.  I have heard
rumors that Maven will object to this sort of layout ... I'd be interested
in your opinion on that subject.

Thanks again for your input.  I'll give your M2 plugin suggestions a try.

RonA