I find also such discussion interesting
it is always good to know what is existing arround and if some inputs may
drive to improve Maven itself.
The fact to know also why Maven is here is an important thing to better us
it.
This is especially what we did with Nicolas De loof in our French book few
years ago and readers loved a lot because they were able to understand why
some choices were done in maven ..

About Gradle, I studied it and tries to use it but for now I'm always not
convinced about its ideology. I like to be free of my choices but I'm not
sure that it is always a good thing. Standardization may be seen as a
limitation but for whom ? For the team using it ? For people who will join
later the project and will find something known ? For the transversal team
in a company that will support dev teams ? Depending of the context, the
"enforced" standardisation may be a good thing. I'm sure that a gradle
build in experts hands may be magical but how often will it be the case and
for how many times ?

What is fun is that this debate Gradle vs Maven makes me think to the
debate Git vs SVN we have on the dev list. What do we prefer ? Something
powerful but perhaps to not put in all hands ? Or a common tool that is
just doing the job ?

Arnaud

--
-----