Am 11.09.2012 22:59 schrieb "Arnaud Héritier" <aherit...@gmail.com>:

> I find also such discussion interesting
> it is always good to know what is existing arround and if some inputs may
> drive to improve Maven itself.
> The fact to know also why Maven is here is an important thing to better us
> it.
> This is especially what we did with Nicolas De loof in our French book few
> years ago and readers loved a lot because they were able to understand why
> some choices were done in maven ..
>
> About Gradle, I studied it and tries to use it but for now I'm always not
> convinced about its ideology. I like to be free of my choices but I'm not
> sure that it is always a good thing. Standardization may be seen as a
> limitation but for whom ? For the team using it ? For people who will join
> later the project and will find something known ? For the transversal team
> in a company that will support dev teams ? Depending of the context, the
> "enforced" standardisation may be a good thing. I'm sure that a gradle
> build in experts hands may be magical but how often will it be the case
and
> for how many times ?
>
> What is fun is that this debate Gradle vs Maven makes me think to the
> debate Git vs SVN we have on the dev list.

Me too.

> What do we prefer ? Something
> powerful but perhaps to not put in all hands ? Or a common tool that is
> just doing the job ?

A tool which makes it likely that we achieve our goals easily.

What are our goals?

* issue control about what people do with maven source code?

* ensure plugin users know where their feedback should be sent to or where
to get help? How can this be done without interfering with other goals?

* Make contributing as easy as possible? If so: who are our potential new
contributors? Which tools do they like to use?

* Learn about what our users need? What other ways of doing this could be
advantageous, besides jira?