On 29/11/2012 10:17 AM, Markku Saarela wrote:
People is stuck for old Java versions due to the fact that for example organizations are using IBM WebSphere and do not upgrade those immediately when new version of WAS is released. WAS 6.1 which was released in 2006 and just add support for JDK 1.5 not 1.6. It is WAS 7 which has JDK 6 support build in from beginning 2008. Just latest WAS 8.5 has possibility to use JDK 7.

Lot of organizations is still running with WAS 6 .
You are saying that for those organizations, Java 6 and 7 broke upward compatibility? We never had that problem but I guess IBM's coding was a bit too tied to features that were deprecated and then removed in java 6 or 7.

What would it mean for them if Maven had a default of Java 7.
Could they not just change the Java setting to 1.4 or 1.3 and still run Maven and compile their Websphere apps?

Is it not possible to run Maven in a JRE7 VM and compile code with a 1.3 compiler? I think that we have done that in the past where our app was being built using 1.5 but we had our Eclipse and Maven running in a 1.6VM.

Ron

Markku