> I'm trying, without success, to imagine why you do not simply
> accumulate <server> elements as required.

Wouldn't that cause Maven to ping every server sequentially for every
needed artifact?

Better to set up a Maven repository manager (Nexus, Artifactory, etc.) and
proxy all the needed sources, no? Then your settings.xml is always
constant, pointing at your master Nexus, which groups all your needed
repositories. Your build is reproducible and remains resilient to otherwise
disruptive remote repository changes -- as long as your master Nexus does
not change.