From: Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2023 5:08 PM
To: Maven Users List <users@maven.apache.org>
Cc: subharaj.ma...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Maven 4.0 release timeline

CAUTION: This email originated from outside our organisation -
ta...@cservenak.net Do not click on links, open attachments, or respond unless
you recognize the sender and can validate the content is safe.
Howdy,

And to reply to the "longer stuff":

Current Maven 4 (on vote, so 3 days if vote passes OK and files land on
Central) is alpha-10.

As with any previous alphas, the _minimal_ requirement is that UT passes, Maven
can build itself, and that to pass Maven IT suite. IT suite is currently, in
this very moment 909 IT tests, but they grow constantly, as new bugs or new
features are added, this link
https://clicktime.symantec.com/15sM1Hx4Zk69FcT4Re31T?h=WCNYF5iZoo32qX5Hxyc8Qrzhc1t-HKpREAcWNL1r7t8=&u=https://github.com/apache/maven-integration-testing/pulse/monthly
 shows there were 3 ITs added last, two bugs from alpha-9 and new feature
regarding plugin validation.

As a downer, Maven 4 alpha-11 is FOR SURE expected, already scheduled:
https://clicktime.symantec.com/15sMAxLdUyTL5W6uWkqJh?h=KbxkwIqLoMQYfHx5OCZ4V-Mu7NdrW7MXjqNgyyl25so=&u=https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql%3Dproject%2520%253D%2520MNG%2520AND%2520fixVersion%2520%253D%25204.0.0-alpha-11

Currently we work on stabilizing resolver and maven (both are alphas!), and
ironing out the new Maven 4 API (thus converting MANY core plugins to use new
API), see here:
https://clicktime.symantec.com/15sM689M2MmjfZGyyCSA5?h=7_-nR2qTzP6RIZLBqH9pHMeQfYQjGw5njIatpLSW6_U=&u=https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/1048

Basically we make sure that the new API delivers _everything_ we need in core
plugins, and even more, as some information trickles from third party plugins
as well. We have to do this "intelligence" work in alpha, where we can break
APIs, as we really need to adjust, adapt and make sure all this once is set in
stone (released as final), will work out for everyone doing plugin development.

Good news is that Resolver 2.0.0 is pretty much "done":
https://clicktime.symantec.com/15sMFnXuwb8vVSvq4KETK?h=djE-5RAYZwC_J0iiRHe3cw4LXST_S1deoAEfdJrJlfU=&u=https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql%3Dproject%2520%253D%2520MRESOLVER%2520AND%2520fixVersion%2520%253D%25202.0.0-alpha-6

I am not saying "resolver is done-done", just that we are "over the hill", as
regarding issue numbers over there. Most probably will have some lurking bugs,
like the last one was in Resolver 2 alpha-3 (plagues Maven 4 alpha-9) about new
"jdk" transport. And for sure will have bugs regarding new transport features,
as they are not ironed out fully.

Maven core is completely different, especially due to its API. Hence, the more
(intel) we get the merrier, as we see "core plugins" only.

So please try out, test it and report back.

Thanks

issuers, see: http://publicresearch.barclays.com.