Hi,

Regarding the XML thing (OT wrt documentation - sorry).

XML basically sucks as a human readable format, it's a more verbose
form of tree/list syntax (like s-expr).

One problem I have with mvn that I don't have with Ant is that there
are no 'shorthand' options in mvn ie:

to declare a single dependency:
<dependencies>
  <dependency></dependency>
</dependencies>

but as I only have 1 I should be able to write
<dependency></dependency>

This lack of a 'shorthand' form (for want of a better term), means
that a pom file grows to be much larger than necessary (even when I
can use a parent pom and inherit from that).

Another example is the filtering - this is from a project I'm working on
<resources>
                        <resource>
                                <filtering>true</filtering>
                                <includes>
                                        <include>**/hibernate.cfg.xml</include>
                                        <include>**/*.properties</include>
                                </includes>
                        </resource>
                        <resource>
                                <filtering>false</filtering>
                                <includes>
                                        <include>**/*</include>
                                </includes>
                        </resource>
                        <resource>
                                <directory>src/test/resources</directory>
                                <filtering>true</filtering>
                                <includes>
                                        <include>**/hibernate.cfg.xml</include>
                                </includes>
                        </resource>
                        <resource>
                                <directory>src/test/resources</directory>
                                <filtering>false</filtering>
                                <includes>
                                        <include>**/*</include>
                                </includes>
                        </resource>
                        <resource>
                                <directory>src/main/webapp</directory>
                                <filtering>true</filtering>
                                <includes>
                                        <include>**/context.xml</include>
                                </includes>
                        </resource>
                        <resource>
                                <directory>src/main/webapp</directory>
                                <filtering>false</filtering>
                                <includes>
                                        <include>**/*</include>
                                </includes>
                        </resource>
                </resources>

Because we have binary resources (image files) I have to explicitly
exclude those from the filtering when I just want to filter 4 files -
that's a lot of XML to filter 4 files

I guess that this requirement comes from the plexus container, but
it's a tangible annoyance that would help to reduce pom complexity if
there was a way of fixing it - and yes I know you can use an IDE to
simplify/auto-complete writing your pom, but that's irrelevant - I
shouldn't have to use an IDE to edit my build/make/pom file - tools
are there to make your life easier, they shouldn't be a requirement.

Enough moaning, I'll checkout the mvn srcs and start writing javadoc
patches etc, maybe I can fix my pet peeves :p

Kev