BTW, unless I'm misataken, the following invocation should also work:

mvn exec:java

-j

Trevor Harmon wrote:
Hi all,

I'm an experienced Ant user but new to Maven, and I'm a little shocked at how verbose Maven is, even compared to Ant, which is notorious for its verbosity. For example, if I want to launch a Java application in Ant, I do this:

<target name="run">
    <java classname="foo.Bar" classpath="${my.classpath}">
        <sysproperty key="mykey" value="myvalue"/>
        <arg value="-h"/>
    </java>
</target>

These six lines of Ant explode into 27 lines when ported to Maven:

<build>
    <plugins>
        <plugin>
            <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
            <artifactId>exec-maven-plugin</artifactId>
            <executions>
                <execution>
                    <goals>
                        <goal>java</goal>
                    </goals>
                </execution>
            </executions>
            <configuration>
                <mainClass>foo.Bar</mainClass>
                <arguments>
                    <argument>-h</argument>
                </arguments>
                <systemProperties>
                    <systemProperty>
                        <key>mykey</key>
                        <value>myvalue</value>
                    </systemProperty>
                </systemProperties>
            </configuration>
        </plugin>
    </plugins>
</build>

Plus, when I want to run the Ant task, I only have to type this:

# ant run

But in Maven I have to type all this:

# mvn org.codehaus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:java

Everything about Maven seems more complex, more verbose, and more difficult, at least for this example. Am I missing something? I thought Maven was supposed to make things simpler...

Trevor

John Casey
Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
Blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/buildchimp/