Hi David,
Thanks for your help. I kept seeing the assembly file referenced, but
nothing too much on where it should be.

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html)

Isn't this enough ? Or do i misunderstand things ?

There are two issues I am having:

1). In the tarball, the "lib" directory is owned by build/user, but
the bin and conf directory is owned by 0/0. Is there a way to set
this? I didn't see anything in the Assembly settings.
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly.html#class_fileSet
You should take a look at the filemode ...
Hm. under which user are you running maven ?

2). My boss wants to know why is the assembly file called bin.xml. I
told him because the assembly file is a "bin" type, and you name the
assembly file after the assembly type. He wants to see documentation
to this effect. Is there such documentation? I know you can call your
assembly file anything you want, but if this is the Maven standard, I
want to stick with it.

First you can call it the way you like but there are some defaults in there
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly-mojo.html#descriptorRefs

Or in Maven: The definitive Guid at section "Predefined Assembly Descriptors"...you can see things linke bin are referenced...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de