On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:30 AM, David C. Hicks <dhi...@i-hicks.org> wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> We have a Maven plugin that we use to provide a packaging type for our
> Integration Test module.  It resides in our Nexus repository at the
> office.  When we work there, all is good.  When we work at home,
> however, is a different story.  Sometimes we may be connected to the
> office via our VPN, in which case we can reach the repository.  If, on
> the other hand, I'm not connected then my build hangs for a bit while
> Maven decides that it cannot reach that repository.  It's looking for
> updates to the plugin.  Maybe I've got something configured wrong in the
> POM, but can't we get it to just use the version in the local repository
> - the version that it has been told to use?  Here's how I reference the
> plugin in my POM:
>
>    <plugin>
>        <groupId>com.allureglobal</groupId>
>        <artifactId>integration-tests-packaging-plugin</artifactId>
>        <version>1.2</version>
>        <extensions>true</extensions>
>    </plugin>
>
> Seems to me it should *not* be checking for updates, since I have that
> version in my local repository.  Can anyone suggest something that I
> might look at or do?

See http://maven.apache.org/ref/current/maven-model/maven.html and
look at the pluginRepositories section.
You could define ab updatePolicy of "never" and manually use
--check-plugin-updates (or -cpu for short) to pull new plugin versions
down when you need it.
Alternatively you could try --no-plugin-updates (or -npu) to disable
plugin checking.

I know there are some outstanding issues that 3.0 may be attempting to
resolve with plugins and dependencies.
As you have noticed even though you have specified the version of the
plugin (and you have that version locally) maven still goes off and
checks for a newer version.
I can't recall why that occurs but believe it is a known problem.

Another alternative is to run nexus on you laptop so that it can
intercept these issues and stop looking for newer versions.
I dont run nexus so I can't help with specifics.  There may be
multi-hierarchy support available, or else you tweak your settings.xml
to switch between your company's nexus and your local nexus when
needed.

Hope that helps.