Do you have the ability to join our IRC channel at irc.codehaus.org (#maven) to talk more about this? If you have a firewall/proxy in the way of an IRC connection, you might also be able to use the CGI client at http://irc.codehaus.org.

From looking at your output in the original message on this thread, it seems like Maven doesn't think you're supplying any authentication information...

Maybe if we could talk more about this, I could help you look for the reason behind it all. I'm on IRC most days; my nickname is 'jdcasey'.

Please come find me if you have the ability, and maybe we can figure this out.

Thanks,

-john

Robert Glover wrote:
Below is the message from Wayne I was referring to.  Now that I have downloaded
and built maven 2.2-RC3, I guess I could put log messages into it to pin-point
the exact line of code where the proxy fails.  But already as it is,  in
running maven 2.2-RC3 it already has debug level logging turned on and is
showing a lot more information than was being shown when this problem started
occuring when I upgraded from maven 2.0.9 to maven 2.1.  The sad thing is I
have been keeping this maven proxy problem to myself because we have only been
using maven for a few months.  If I make it be known that it won't work and
there is no solution if we upgrade to any version higher than maven 2.0.9,  it
is likely the managers will ban maven from being used.

Proxy issues are, by their very nature, almost impossible for an
outsider to investigate and resolve. There are literally hundreds (or
more) of proxy server software packages in the world, and while they
all more or less work for basic web browsing, most have issues with
various pieces of software like Maven.

I won't claim to know all the changes made to the Maven codebase from
2.0.9 to 2.1.0 (much less the changes in supporting utility libraries)
but it would seem that some change has caused your proxy to stop
working. If you seriously want to see this resolved, it will probably
take some effort on your part to get Maven and all its libraries
running in a debugger to try to track down what is different.

Unless a ton of people start complaining about similar problems or the
issue can be tracked to a specific change made in Maven (or a util
library), I don't see this being resolved in any well-defined
timeframe.

So, I'd stick with 2.0.9 for now. Have you tried 2.0.10 yet?

Wayne