I have written a non serializing scope control based upon savestate a
while ago, it still is lingering in jsf-comp I will dump it in the
sandbox next weekend.

What I did basically was to bypass the entire serialisation within the
component entirely and to dump it into the session and having a
phase listener deal with the cleanup of the expired objects.
(Sort of what Zhong did for his backend stuff)

Werner