On 21-5-2014 10:28, japples wrote:
Martin, to put it more simply, you prefer to post the styles / definitions of a document as a cheat sheet rather than see the code in real time and where located in your document (reveal codes). Very inefficient to take eyes off of the document to search for "style definitions" then go back to document to "fix" the problem and possibly create a clash with imported document or another style definition.
To be honest, I don't prefer anything, because I believe I master Styles. All I tried to address is that we should not be blind for requirements of others and see if we can come up with a solution to assist users who have problems with Styles.

A more efficient way would be to have the codes seen where they are in document and make corrections on the spot. Also, using this type of reveal code window eliminates the possibility of creating a conflicting style definition.

This whole thing reminds me of when I started writing web pages. In short order I began to see how limiting wysiwyg (ie, styles) was yet I was unable to move to a more efficient method until that mindset changed. If the mind is closed, nothing can be accomplished. Opening a Reveal Codes window to correct document is more efficient and less problematic than working with styles. Per your description, a list of styles can be opened to identify what part of the rule is creating the problem. Reveal Codes allows to see the code causing the problem plus eliminates guessing related to conflicting styles.

Perhaps when all the mindsets are put into neutral, an option that is intuitive, efficient, has low risk of creating other document problems, will come to light.

Another comparison of styles vs reveal codes is the automobile transmissions. The manual is similar to working with style definitions while the automatic is more like working with reveal codes.

The above is not saying adding "reveal codes" to OO is the thing to do; however, those with open minds seem to be projecting a more efficient way to handle documents. Nor is it saying anyone understanding the value of reveal codes and capable of the work required to add it to OO, won't be driven to drink or start staring at spinning spiral disks in a room of alternating color spotlights highlighting the pink spotted elephant chorus line.

Jack

Doug Johnson wrote:
And your not even involving columns and tables, etc., yet!

A page can get very complex.

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 8:06 AM, Martin Groenescheij <