Take it easy, everyone

For those reading at home, note that, from Keith's message headers (which your
reader might not show you),

   Firefox/38.0 SeaMonkey/2.35

Indicates that the sender is using Firefox to send a PGP signature via Firefox
to GMane and from there to the Users list at oo.a.o, each list manager doing
whatever it does whatever it does when it encounters such a signature.

Finally not all email readers recognize these, even with no suspects
in-between the sender and receiver.  My reader recognizes that it was signed
but I have not installed any plug-in to handle that protocol ID.

SO the sender has no idea what intermediary lost the signature binding, and
the receiver has no idea whether the signature was good when the message
started its wanderings through two list systems and reached his mail reader
which, like mine, might only recognize X.509 digital signatures without being
given a way to check others.

One can check what the users@ oo.a.o software makes of the message at
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-users/201509.mbox/%3Cmtefh2%24b7m%241%40ger.gmane.org%3E>.
Notice it too separates the appended signature as if it is an attachment.
If you look at the "raw" message, you might notice that this is not in a
format that can be checked directly with GnuPG because of differences in
boundary markers and other details,
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-users/201509.mbox/raw/%3cmtefh2$b7m$1...@ger.gmane.org%3e>,

 - Dennis

PS: Senders, if you want your signed message to pass through the maze of
intermediaries with a chance of being verifiable, write a text file, sign it
(asci-armored) as a text file using an implementation of OpenPGP, such as
GnuPG.  And paste the whole ascii-armored text into a blank, unsigned email
message. Intermediaries will usually leave the content intact enough to be
verifiable by a recipient who knows how to check the text with GnuPG.
  Or take the easy way and realize reality does not match every expectation
and don't bother to sign messages to public mailing lists.

PPS: For those following along at home, I have signed this by a long-standing,
venerable method and we'll see what the list-management software does with
this one
[;<).