Roy,

There is not enough information to be able to reproduce your difficulty and
identify the particular problem.

Without knowing more, here are a number of things to try,

It may be that a Zoom or Scroll function moved your view so that the text was
not visible.

Open the document and look at the lower right corner of the OpenOffice Text
window where there is a slider and a % value.  Move the slider to 100% and see
if that helps.  You can also use Ctrl-Home to get to the top of the first page
and see if the text is there.

Also check the lower left corner where it says Page m/n.  That should tell you
how much material the document may have, assuming you typed more than a page's
worth.

If you don't find your text that way, try going to the View menu and click the
"Hidden Paragraphs" option.

And one more trick.  Positioned at the top of the document, click the "Edit >
Select all" and see whether there is any portion of the document that is
selected.  If you see text in the selection area, this may reveal that a font
color has been changed.  You can use the font color button in the bar that has
font and style information to change the font to a visible color different than
the background color of the document.

If this does not recover what appears to be suddenly-missing text, the best
workaround is to save your document regularly.  When something like this
happens on a document that has previously been saved (so it has a file name),
do not close or save the document.  Instead, use the File > Save As ... menu
option to save the file under a new name so that you don't lose previously
saved material while you see if you can recover your latest work.

Also, if the material is not private, you can create a bug report and add the
failed document as an attachment.  That way, someone who understand the file
format can examine your document to see if there is any way to tell what
happened.  Let us know if you have captured a document that you want to do that
with.

- Dennis

PS: Please reply to users@openoffice.apache.org so other users can follow and
add their suggestions.  If you reply directly to me, I will assume you are
giving me permission to post your message to this list as I see fit.