More about "usual" & "special" characters:

There are a lot of symbols available through using the ALT+ method, the
thing is that the codes you use depend on your system locale. The symbols
shown on this site have nothing to do with my locale. Perhaps the best way
to see what's available is to start the Character Map (Windows) application
(START > Programs > Accessories > Character Map) and see what's available.
Things become a little confused when you go above the 255th character; you
may need to experiment, but they are available by using ALT + nnnnn (i.e. a
five digit code). For instance, ALT + 12556 = ♀, ALT + 2556 = ³, ALT + 0255
= ÿ and so on.

If you Google "alt key codes", you'll find many other sources.

Maurice Howe