On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 02:30:48 -0400
dougieba...@aol.com wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> I have Apache openoffice 4.1.3 installed on my laptop computer running
> Windows 10.
>
> When I tried to open a 3 page spreadsheet today that I had  previously
> saved I was invited to enter my name & initials  which I did when I pressed
> ok,
> a new menu came up titled 'Text Import' with my  original title in brackets,
> when I press ok a new blank spreadsheet page comes  up.
>
> How do I recover my original document please.
>
> All my other documents saved in Open Office still open correctly.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mr D G BATES

Your file is badly damaged, probably beyond useful repair.

As soon as possible do the following:

Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery
of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of
your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may
overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is
no guarantee that you will recover anything useful.

Do the above soonest! Do not wait for anything else - there is little prospect
of recovering anything from your file, so do this NOW!

To prevent this happening again, be leisurely in your closing down (powering
off or hibernating) of the computer after properly closing your OO file and OO.

Use the formal computer closedown procedure and wait for a few seconds (10 or
thereabouts) before powering off to be certain all disk activity has ceased -
damage to the spellchecker often occurs if the computer is powered down before
the hardware/software write buffers have flushed. It is only a matter of a few
seconds - these few extra seconds will be less than the time needed to correct
the problem, or, more likely, to rebuild a damaged file which can also occur
through such over-hasty shutdown.
--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>