At 10:21 15/05/2017 -0400, Bill Dillinger wrote:
One suggestion was to click the "Detect special numbers" option when opening the file. I did try this and it didn't work.

I think it should. The problem is probably the tab characters that you have only now referred to.

It was suggested to use the function =VALUE(c2) in a new column in Calc to convert the text to numbers. When I did this I got Err 502.

This will work if, as we thought, you just had spare blanks in the text value in the cell. But it seems it will not cope with (invisible) tab characters there.

If your CSV file has tab characters as well as commas as separators - and indeed also blanks as spacers - then in the Text Import dialogue you will need to tick both Tab and Comma as well as to tick "Merge delimiters" under "Separated by" and also to tick "Detect special numbers".

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker