M Henri Day wrote:

> I should have nothing against an updating to the OOo GUI, but I can't help
> thinking that it's what's under the hood that is most important. Still, we -
> the developers - do have to keep in mind that new users to OOo are often
> going to have a background in MS Office 2007 and later, rather than in
> versions 1997 -2003....

Oh bullshit again.  Just because a small cluster of deIcaza types wants
OOo to stop UI work, turn around and spend effort copying MSO simply
because it's MSO, doesn't mean we should.  Copying is stupid.  Copying
failure is more stupid.  M$ has virtually made a trademark of suckitude.
Don't go the route of trademark infringement.

Quick quiz:

        Q: What is the goal of OOo?

        a) a deIcaza-style M$ love-in, dutifully copying every
           aspect of MSO

        b) providing a good productivity suite

Updating the UI is very good idea.  Updating without specific goals is a
waste of resources.  Updating it to copy a failure is not very nice to
those who wish to use OOo.

If the ideal is more general, improvement of the "User Experience", then
it may not be UI work that is needed so much as streamlining and
modularization.  Faster program ==  more ( enjoyable && productive ).

Regards
-Lars