Barbara Duprey wrote:
Lars Nooden wrote:
Mathias Bauer wrote:
... They deserve a better treament
than insinuations that they just would be out for "aping" the r*****.

Unless that is what they are doing.  :P

If it looks like duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, ...

-Lars

But what if it sings like a nightingale? We haven't heard it yet, the prototype was clearly not the finished "voice" or anywhere close, just a way to get feedback. The main issues seem to be use of screen real estate (which should be kept to a minimum) and the ability to turn it off and use the old menu structure easily, and Mathias has clearly been pushing those issues himself. I think most of us start off with a serious mistrust for anything that attempts to predict what we want (a la Clippy and its kin), because it's *so* much easier to do wrong than right. But even Ribbon has its avid fans (I'm not one of them!), and anything that reduces the learning curve for newbies, and for experienced users trying a new or infrequently used capability, can be a serious advantage for OOo in the market. So I'm willing to wait and see. Should be a lot of fun trying to write the help and other documentation, though!

Well I must say there is one aspect where I like the analogy with the duck. Because there is that fairytale of the ugly duck which than later turned out to have grown up and was than realizing that it wasn´t an ugly duck but a beautiful swan. Thus I would like to encourage everyone to look forward into the future and see what we all could do to enhance the UserInterface of OOo and to also have a deeper look into the prototype than only applying prejudice of "ugly duckniness".

There are more aspects tested in the prototype than you might have seen with a first and quick only look onto it. For example there is the aspect of a different SlideSorterView which includes a live-editing-feature shown where also drag&drop of objects between the slides is possible in this mode and than there is the aspect of a different visualisation and user interaction for what is called Masterpages in Impress.

Kind regards,
Bernd Eilers