John Boyle wrote:
> ... Specifically, I would like to see mail merge
> improved, although it is not as bad as it was, it could use some fine
> tuning!

Where are the lumps currently?  Mailmerge(*) is one of the most
important features for secretaries and office managers.  (Document
templates being the other)

> ... Since you asked what I would like to see, I will get back to you
> with things I will NOW take note of, that I had let slide because I was
> not sure and still am not!

As long as they get posted somewhere.  When the pro-MS dogma dies back
then these data can be useful.

> ... As far as
> the UI is concerned, I cannot see how there can be any improvement, but,
> again, I am NOT a programmer, only a happy user, who is tired of
> "CHANGE" for change sake!!!!

It appears in this case to be a proposal for change for detriment's
sake.  "The ribbon" is a failure and hiding a "let's copy the ribbon"
proposal under quibbles about semantics is only showing how engrained in
the dogma some people have decided to be.  Look at the evaluation:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance:IsoMetrics_Results
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Image:OOoUserSurvey2009_Final.ods

There is room for improvement, but there is not even the remotest
indication of dissatisfaction, let alone a mandate for utter bullshit
like ZOMG-lets-do-a-ribbon!

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/6/62/Results_OpenOffice.org_User_Survey_2008.odp

Then here is some further discussion:

http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/2006/07/the_microsoft_o.html
http://cs.winona.edu/CSConference/2007proceedings/caty.pdf

Searching, I just now noticed this blog with further discussion:

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/prototyping_a_new_ui_july#comment-1249139708000

It's stupid not to learn from the mistakes of others.

Regards,
-Lars

(*)     Mailmerge has been broken in MSO since at least 2002.  As of 2004 it
was still in the "won't fix" category.