On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 12:36:01 +0300
Lars Nooden <larsnoo...@openoffice.org> dijo:

> I just tried importing a 40-page brochure in PostScript with minimal
> graphics into Scribus and eventually gave up.  For me, at the beginning
> it consumed most of the CPU then after a few minutes reduced CPU usage
> and took about 90% of the RAM (including swap)  It may work for you if
> you have a better machine or better method.

Importing PostScript into Scribus as vectors makes Scribus run
extremely slowly. Also, there is a bug where characters above U-2FF
tend to be moved about on the line, like on top of other characters.

I recently laid out a student workbook of 130 pages in Scribus. The
writing (with styles) was done in Writer and imported. But I needed a
lot of tables and Scribus doesn't do real tables. So I created the
tables in Writer and wrote each one to file, then imported each table
as vector PostScript. Other than the occasional bug mentioned above, it
worked well. But Scribus became so slow it was almost unusable.
Eventually I went through and painstakingly replaced the vectorized
text in the tables with small native Scribus text frames, leaving the
rest of the table framework as vector objects.

I never tried this, but I understand that if I had placed each vector
PostScript table in a graphics frame Scribus would not have become so
slow. I was told that doing so makes Scribus maintain the vector
objects as usual, but creates a raster image for screen display. I
still wouldn't try to import a lot of PostScript vector objects into
Scribus, though.

Some of what I said above may not be possible in the stable 1.3.3.13
version. I used 1.3.5 Release Candidate 3, which has a lot of new
features.

Deciding whether to do a booklet in Writer v. Scribus is not a simple
matter. What if you are a guru at Writer, but have never used Scribus?
Then, even if Scribus might be the better tool for the job, the
learning curve may mean that Writer is the faster tool for you.