Cor,

In the course of answering Bill's question, you have touched on a basic issue on my OO-learning to-do list: datasource registration...
In a message dated 2010.07.05 07:26 -0500, Cor Nouws wrote:

I would like to use OO to create a series of patient statements. At
first look it would seem that mail merge is the best way to do this, but
the documentation says that I need to first import the data into a base
database, which is more complex than I can expect an office worker to do.

That is not exactly what is needed.
What needs to be done, is register the 'database' as a datasource.

I know it must be done for OO; I just don't know:

(a) exactly what registration does, or why OO cannot merge on-the-fly from an unregistered data source if that source is in a recognizable form;

 (b) where the registration is recorded, and in what form.

I'm sure that, in not knowing those things, I miss something basic. Yet I have not so far found those basic answers.

John