Cor,

Thanks for your reply; sorry for a follow-up question...

In a message dated 2010.07.05 10:57 -0500, Cor Nouws wrote:

What needs to be done, is register the 'database' as a datasource.

I know it must be done for OO; I just don't know:

(a) exactly what registration does, or why OO cannot merge on-the-fly
from an unregistered data source if that source is in a recognizable form;

By design?
For example:
  -  Registering once,
  - Create autotext blocs with datafields in it
  - Put the autotext in a document and there you go merging..

Setting aside the autotext issue - isn't it possible to merge without autotext, to fields in static forms? - is the point that OOo will not recognize a data field unless it is registered, and provides no way to explicitly specify an unregistered field?

(b) where the registration is recorded, and in what form.

In an XML file in the OOo users registry.
e.g. /openoffice.org/3/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/DataAccess.xcu

You can also look at Tools|Options|OpenOffice.org Base
And use the datasource window, F4, and the icons / context menu there.

I knew about the registration list in Options; my question was where Options gets/stores its list. Thanks for helping with that point: I just reduced much of my ignorance on this issue by studing DataAccess.xcu.

Best regards,
John