In a message dated 2010.08.26 23:41 -0500, NoOp wrote:

<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Writer_Guide/Form_controls_reference>

I have no doubt that you have a better grasp of the big picture
than I have, but I have never found any tools in Writer forms for
sizing and positioning other than dragging with a mouse ... I just
looked at your reference and found nothing about "Anchor", "Guides"
or "Alignment". ... Could I ask you to point to a guide (in the
instructive sense) to sizing and positioning?

These are what I was referring to:

Form Design toolbar
Image:FormPositionSize.png Position and Size ...
Image:FormAnchor.png Change Anchor ...
Image:FormAlign.png Alignment ~ The Alignment button is disabled unless
the control is anchored as a character. You can align a control in
different ways, for example so the top of the control lines up with the
top of the text or the bottom lines up with the bottom of the text.

Do those not work for you?

Yes - perfectly. I don't know how I managed to miss those tools before, but just spent an hour playing with a form design, and can't find anything more needed.