Hi,

Answers in line.

On Sep 9, 2011, at 2:20 PM, openoffice.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote:

> Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 7:16 AM,<openoffice.mbou...@spamgourmet.com>  wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> To be honest, I don't see why Apache can't continue using the existing
>>> infrastructure on openoffice.org? incubator.apache.org sounds, to me, like
>>> something which is in the early stages of development - which OOo certainly
>>> isn't! I know the page at http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
>>> explains otherwise, but if I were not already familiar with OOo I probably
>>> wouldn't even have read that far.
>>>

>> You can read more about Apache Incubation here:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/
>>
>> All projects that go through Incubation at Apache are already
>> established open source projects.  Incubation is not a place to start
>> a new codebase.  Apache Labs is where brand new ideas can start.
>>
>> So the point of Incubation for OOo is not that OOo is new, but that it
>> is new to Apache and needs some extra attention to conform to the
>> Apache license, integrate with Apache infrastructure and understand
>> how Apache projects are run.
>
> I understand that. But if I were a new user looking at that page, who was not
> familiar with OpenOffice.org nor Apache's meaning of "incubation", I would
> probably think the software is not well developed and not look at it any
> further. I might not have even opened a link to the page, reading "incubator"
> in the address and assuming it to be under-developed, or if I did I may not
> read past the first sentence which described the project as an "effort
> undergoing incubation" - sounds like it is not yet a successful project.

In this case incubation means that at Apache the project is new and that there
a number of items that need to be covered before any project can be an official
Apache Software Foundation project. Everyone involved in the project is a
volunteer, no one is paid to work on OpenOffice.org by the foundation.

To graduate from the Apache Incubator there are many tasks including IP review
to replace or rewrite code with incompatible licenses, moving all the many
parts of OpenOffice.org to Apache Infrastructure, proper project
self-governance, and that a diverse community exists in the project that is not
dependent on a single institution like Oracle, IBM, Redhat, or Novell.

>> I can't really answer your cosmic "why?" question.  We must take it as
>> a given fact that Oracle has contributed OOo to Apache and that Oracle
>> will be shutting down their hosting of the website.  Once those facts
>> are acknowledged -- even if you disagree with those decisions or how
>> they were made -- the rest of this, including Apache Incubation and
>> list migration, follows naturally.
>
> Oracle have handed over the software, including the OpenOffice.org name and
> branding, but not the openoffice.org domain nor the existing web and email
> list infrastructure? That will also cause confusion, if Apache still call the
> software OpenOffice.org, but there is no up-to-date web site for it at
> openoffice.org!

Oracle has signed over the trademarks and the transfer of domain registration
is in progress. We are working on moving the website content. Developers are
building code based on source in the Apache Subversion repository.

You can view the project's planning wiki at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Wiki+Home

Look at the table of contents on the left and you will see a number of pages
including inventories of OOo services and projects.

>>> That page also states that "Incubation is required of all newly accepted
>>> projects until a further review indicates that the infrastructure,
>>> communications, and decision making process have stabilized in a manner
>>> consistent with other successful ASF projects."
>>>
>>> Does this mean the infrastructure, mailing list addresses, etc. are going to
>>> change *again* once they have stabilized? If that's the case, why not use
>>> the existing infrastructure at openoffice.org until Apache are ready to roll
>>> out whatever new infrastructure they want to put in place?
>>>

>> Once a project graduates from Incubation it becomes a "top level
>> project" or TLP.  At that point the mailing lists will change again,
>> e.g. ooo-users@incubator.apache,org would become
>> us...@openoffice.apache.org.  We can probably make that transition
>> easy for subscribers, since it will be still within the same list
>> infrastructure.

> will soon be expected to subscribe yet again to
> us...@openoffice.apache.org... (or at least change the address we send email
> to, again)

When the project graduates list membership will move to the new list name
automatically. I have been through an Apache project graduation and there were
no problems losing list membership. No probably about it at all. Now that
doesn't mean there is no impact, mailing list receivers might have to adjust
whitelists or filters which is the smallest impact possible.

> I'm sorry to say, I will also be looking at joining those moving over to
> LibreOffice (not that I contribute anywhere near as much here as some others
> do). If nothing else, it seems to be much more stable in terms of supporting
> infrastructure, and even who owns it!

Please give the volunteers at Apache a little more time and I hope you might
change your mind. Either way enjoy a free Office suite!

Project volunteers are always welcome. Join the ooo-dev mailing list by sending
an email to ooo-dev-subscr...@incubator.apache.org and volunteer.

The Apache project will keep this list posted as development continues.

Regards,
Dave