Jonathon Blake wrote:

I might have customized my keyboard shortcuts.

Go  ">Format >Styles >Catalog"

That menu option has been dropped from 2.0.

  I can come up with many examples where styles don't work for me or other
people I work with.

I have yet to see an example of where styles do not work. <snip>

We should distinguish here between Styles as a concept and Writer's implementation of Styles.

For instance: How exactly do you create an in line heading in Writer? Something that looks like this:

3. *History* The history of the Andalusian people...

where the word "History" is treated *as* a Heading in all respects; it is automatically populated into a TOC, it shows up in the Navigator, it is properly affected by the Numbering formats, etc.

Answer: You can't do it; at least not in Writer. And this isn't a trivial example. It's specified as either the 3rd or 4th level heading in APA format and probably in MLA as well, so the deficiency potentially affects almost anyone using OOo in academic work.

The other major deficiency in Writer's styles is the inability to affect a relative change, a change in one attribute without affecting anything else. So if you have a document that uses more than one font, you have make duplicates of things like an Emphasis character style for each font or point size. That's a big reason why people use direct formatting rather than character styles; character styles often do /too/ much.

That's also the reason why you have thousands of Styles in your template. Undoubtedly, you have dozens of styles that are identical save for the language setting. With a concept of relative styling or layered styling or whatever you want to call it, you could reduce that number to something on the order of the square root of what you have now, without losing any stylistic functionality or consistency.

Wordperfect styles are really a form of Autotext, so a style definition can include the insertion of boilerplate text, fields, variables, even things like tables. It's a bit messier, and more prone to errors, particularly when several different people have touched a document, but it is also much more powerful and flexible. You aren't limited to whatever the program designers happened to imagine when they coded the thing. If you can create it manually, you can turn it into a style. The same can't be said for Writer or Word.

So I would tread carefully and not be so dismissive of Wordperfect and its adherents. It's powerful software and it has retained a loyal following for good reason.

--

Rod