Hi,

First, thanks to everyone for your great advice and insight about installing OO, and, pointing out the realities with respect to SO. The advice worked perfectly, and the other comments really make a lot of sense.

Now, I have a somewhat strange question, but first, the premise: "I started using desktop computers in the mid eighties, when I saw two job ads asking that the applicant have a facility with MS Extended BASIC. I realized that my education and training with Mainframes (COBOL, BAL, and JCL) was not sufficient to then get a job as an entry-level programmer (Programmer Trainee). The desktop computer with which I started was a Z80 run computer, initially ROM loaded, etc.

This computer, though great in every way, was sorely limited. I discovered I needed a computer which had more RAM availability, from the start, and a diskdrive, plus could offer numerous computer programming languages. After doing a lot of comparing, I chose the Commodore Amiga Personal Computer (the A1000 -- which, at the time I bought it, was more stable than the A2000, and cheaper than it, could transmit in in color to a TV, so I would not need a special monitor; and, was not a potential fire hazard as the A500 was at that time). Of the programs I bought for it, I chose WordPerfect For The Amiga because it would allow me to have accessibility with all versions of WordPerfect, SFA the created files were concerned; especially because the floppy diskdrives of the Amiga could be used as MS/IBM drives too, thus allowing me to work with files created on an MS/IBM computer system.

WordPerfect For The Amiga can accept any normal file created by any wordprocessing program, from any system. It will tell me that the file is not in WordPerfect format, and then ask if I wish to retrieve it anyway? The result will be a lot of garbage, which would be all the embedded things placed with the file by the other program, and all the text. As long as the text in not encripted in any way (as Multimate always did), I would still have whatever was written and saved with that program. The value of this is to be able to work with information which is not being accepted by other wordprocessing programs. Once this text is isolated in WordPerfect, it can be saved as a text file which can then be retrieved by any other wordprocessing program; and, as we all know, MS Word has trouble accepting files created by other versions of MS Word, itself."

The question: "Can Open Office's Write do a similar thing, on the MS Win computer, as what WordPerfect For The Amiga can do, on the Amiga Computer? I am well aware we also cannot read floppy disks which are not IBM formatted; but, we can read CDs and DVDs, and files received via telecomputing (EDI, Internet, E-Mail, messaging, etc.) which are created by other computers and other wordprocessing programs or other versions of wordprocessing programs. Anyone have an idea?"

   Thanks for all of your kind attention.

                        Regards,

                        Julian.