> Unless you are talking about setting up some kind of "app store" and using
> Tomcat to do that? but in such a case, the issue would not be about Tomcat,
> but about creating an "app store webapp" running under Tomcat. Or?
~
 Exactly! Where is an (or the?) "app store webapp" running under Tomcat?
~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Web_Start
~
 Some key benefits of this technology include seamless version
updating for globally distributed applications ...
~
 Java Network Launching Protocol (JNLP):
~
 Updates of the software download from the Web become available when
the user has a connection to the Internet, thus easing the burden of
deployment.
~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~
 I would add that you could run it on any browser backed by a JRE (any
browser!) and from any compliant java web server. Other than the
little obsession google has about constantly being on your face/"being
reality", becoming some sort of "Internet goverment"
~
> The whole concept however seems to me a throwback ...
> ... And service providers, instead of developing a web application once for
> one standard browser platform, now have to invest in creating 3 different
> redundant "apps" in order to cover their cool clients lifestyle choices.
It seems strange to me that nobody seems to raise any objection to
this gigantic waste of resources.
> Or is that my fossilised brain at work again ?
~
 This is also exactly how I feel about it. I have seen that before in
technology, we are going now through the "talking dog" phase ;-), then
people will start making sense by asking themselves. Well, what it is
actually saying? Does it make sense? ...
~
 I find really odd that "while Android Market keeps 30% of your app
price and gives you the remaining 70% ..." and the percentages is not
what I find odd, but the tacit fact that it is google the one
"keeping" and "giving".
~
 I see things technological getting uglier and uglier. Oracle "buying"
Sun, Oracle suing google, Apple suing Samsung ... so I thought there
might be some "legal" issues developers are avoiding, but it doesn't
seem to be the case. As of today:
~
$ date
Tue Oct 23 04:31:07 UTC 2012
~
 there certainly are "alternatives":
~
 http://www.getjar.com/
 http://www.amazon.com/b?node=2350149011
 http://slideme.org/
 http://www.appbrain.com/
 http://www.1mobile.com/
 http://www.papktop.com/
~
 So, again, where is the "app store webapp" running under Tomcat,
Jetty, or any other servlet container?
~
 Are we starting such a project?
~