Siegfried,

On 2/13/13 12:29 PM, siegfr...@heintze.com wrote:
OK, here is the console log and it is exclusively resulting from
starting. There are no changes to the console display as a result
of pointing the browser at
http://localhost:8080/Guestbook/GuestServlet. Jetty, however,
prints lots of messages about activating the controller the
guestbook application.

Can someone give me some more hints? How do I bump the logging
level to get some more details in tomcat 6?

I'm not sure you need more details from Tomcat at this point. See
below.

Feb 13, 2013 9:12:55 AM
org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init INFO: The APR
based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal
performance in production environments was not found on the
java.library.path: C:\Program

Holy geez, that's a huge java.library.path and almost everything in
it is worthless. :(

WARNING: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context}
Setting property 'source' to 'org.eclipse.jst.jee.server:Guestbook'
did not find a matching property.

It looks like Eclipse is doing *something*, but...

INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.36 Feb 13, 2013
9:12:56 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDescriptor
INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor host-manager.xml Feb 13,
2013 9:12:56 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig
deployDescriptor

Deployed the host-manager webapp.

INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor manager.xml Feb 13, 2013
9:12:56 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory

Deployed manager webapp.

INFO: Deploying web application directory docs Feb 13, 2013
9:12:56 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory

Deployed docs webapp.

INFO: Deploying web application directory examples Feb 13, 2013
9:12:57 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log INFO:
ContextListener: contextInitialized() Feb 13, 2013 9:12:57 AM
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log INFO:
SessionListener: contextInitialized() Feb 13, 2013 9:12:57 AM
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory

Deployed examples webapp.

INFO: Deploying web application directory ROOT

Deployed ROOT webapp.

Feb 13, 2013 9:12:57 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol
start INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080 Feb 13, 2013
9:12:57 AM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init INFO: JK: ajp13
listening on /0.0.0.0:8009 Feb 13, 2013 9:12:57 AM
org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/36
config=null Feb 13, 2013 9:12:57 AM
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start INFO: Server startup in
1202 ms

Didn't deploy any more webapps. It looks like Eclipse isn't
deploying the webapp you are trying to deploy.

Can you post the server.xml that is being used by Tomcat? It looks
like Eclipse is modifying server.xml with your webapp's name (which
is weird). Also, take a look at the deployment directory (usually
CATALINA_BASE/webapps) and the configuration directory
(CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/localhost) to see if you have any *.xml
files in there.

Eclipse J2EE version does lots of really unpleasant (in my opinion) stuff.

They actually use a pseudo-CATALINA_BASE (I think) and run the server from:

workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.wst.server.core\tmp[n]

n is the number of your server in your Servers project.

There is no bin directory, and there's an extra directory called wtpwebapps which contains an empty ROOT application.

If you use Maven, you'll need the Maven Integration for Eclipse WTP, which is an incubation plugin. It doesn't allow you to do everything Maven does from within Eclipse, but for generic building and running it seems to work more or less OK.

If you don't use the plugin, then I imagine you'll get all sorts of anomalous behavior, including having to tell Eclipse you're working on a WTP project (adding aspects otherwise you won't be able to run on a server), Eclipse complaining that it cannot find files (because the directory structure is different), etc.

So in short:

1. Make sure your Servers project is open (so you can control Tomcat)
2. Look in the logs subdirectory of tmp[n] for logs
3. If you're using Maven (original poster is I think), get the plugin

. . . . just my 2 cents
/mde/