-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 11:13 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Connection pooling issue on Tomcat

Barry,

On 3/28/14, 11:58 AM, Propes, Barry L wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm using Tomcat 6.0.29 for an app I've had in place for years. I run
> the Java app I have on a Windows 2003 server for my production region,
> but have local builds on both my desktop and laptop, both of which are
> Windows XP Pro. Yes, I do realize that the Tomcat version is old, but
> we'll be retiring the app in a few months so there's no need (at this
> time) to upgrade it.
>

> The errors I am getting are:
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException:
> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create
> PoolableConnectionFactory (ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or
> shutdown in progress
>

> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create
> PoolableConnectionFactory (ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or
> shutdown in progress
>

> java.sql.SQLRecoverableException: ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or
> shutdown in progress
>

> This may not be much to go on.
>
> But like I said, with attributes only slightly different, the
> connection to UAT works. By the way, I am connecting successfully to
> the Oracle PROD DB through other avenues: TOAD,SQL Plus, MS Access,
> etc.
>

> So the DB itself is working.
>

> Both my DEV/UAT and PROD regions use the same DBCP classes. Could
> something have gotten corrupted for one and not the other?
>
> Any feedback is welcomed. Let me know, please, if I neglected to add
> anything pertinent to this.

Have you been able to connect with any type of Java-based client?
Perhaps the driver is convinced something is wrong when everything is fine?

I suspect that this is not Tomcat or DBCP-related.

- -chris

Chris, I got it solved. It was Tomcat related, but my fault.

When stopping and starting the app through the manager console, the conf app
xml file in question was not getting overwritten. I had to delete it and get
the changes I made recreated.
It then worked. Oddly, I had made changes to both my dev environments - laptop
and desktop -- but I discovered it right AFTER I posted this! Ugh!

Thanks!

Consider this closed.