-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Shifman [mailto:mark.shif...@yale.edu]
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 12:34 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Connection pooling issue on Tomcat

On 03/28/2014 11:58 AM, Propes, Barry L wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm using Tomcat 6.0.29 for an app I've had in place for years. I run the
> Java app I have on a Windows 2003 server for my production region, but have
> local builds on both my desktop and laptop, both of which are Windows XP Pro.
> Yes, I do realize that the Tomcat version is old, but we'll be retiring the
> app in a few months so there's no need (at this time) to upgrade it.
>
> I use connection pooling, specifically Tomcat's DBCP class.
>
> This app has worked for years, but is suddenly encountering a strange
> connection error and issue to the PROD region only of Oracle 11.
> This just started in the last week. I'll include the contents of my context
> XML file and the errors that it's generating.
>
> Even stranger, my development build to the Oracle UAT region works just fine!
> These content.xml files are virtually the same, except one references the
> Oracle PROD region, and the other references the Oracle UAT region. The
> Resource name attributes vary really only slightly, one called myoracle, the
> other called myoracledev.
>
> <Context>
>    <Resource
>      auth="Container"
>      description="changectrlapp"
>      name="jdbc/myoracle"
>      type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>      driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
>      username="username"
>      password="password"
>     url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@servername.dom.net:1648:SVCNAME"
>      maxIdle="30"
>      maxWait="10000"
>      maxActive="20"
>      testOnBorrow="true"
>      timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="-1"
>      minEvictableIdleTimeMillis="28800"
>      poolPreparedStatements="true"
>      removeAbandoned="true"
>      removeAbandonedTimeout="300"
>      logAbandoned="false"/>
>
> The errors I am getting are:
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException:
> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create
> PoolableConnectionFactory (ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or
> shutdown in progress
>

> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create
> PoolableConnectionFactory (ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or
> shutdown in progress
>

> java.sql.SQLRecoverableException: ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or
> shutdown in progress
For   what its  worth,   I recently got this error which looks like it is an
ORACLE issue rather than connection pool issue.
When I talked to our db administrator, they were doing some sort of maintenance
on oracle at exactly the same time I got the error.

mas

--
Mark Shifman MD. Ph.D.
Yale Center for Medical Informatics

I had changed it a couple of weeks back to point to our COB region, which is up
only during a specified time, and didn't realize I hadn't changed it back. But
I also thought that stopping and starting the app in the manager console would
overwrite the app xml file in the conf folder, and that didn't happen.
I checked it there and discovered the problem.

Thanks, though.

Barry