On 04/01/18 11:31, Marek Czernek wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I think this is a great idea. Before doing any brainstorming though, I
> wonder about the following:
>
> 1. Who'd be the target audience? And what skill level would you want to
>    target? Any pre-requisites?

The short version is whatever the Tomcat community (i.e. the members of
this list) would find most useful. Possible examples that come to mind are:
- an introductory course for an experienced sysadmin that knows nothing
about Tomcat
- in depth trouble-shooting

But rather than just my random ideas, I'd love to hear what the
community wants.

> 2. Should it be purely Tomcat, or do you want to talk about various
>    frameworks that integrate with Tomcat in some manner? (Hibernate
>    comes to mind, for example)

This is is easy. Purely Tomcat.

> 3. What goals would you like to achieve? I.e., would you want to create
>    a course for a community and potential future contributors, or would
>    your goal be a course for experts to get things done asap? Imho
>    those two goals require different approaches. If the answer is
>    'both', that could be sub-optimal (though understandable). Or do you
>    imagine completely different goal(s)?

My original thinking was training for end users of any/all levels.
However, if there was interest we could add some modules on how to
become a contributor, committer, PMC member etc.

> My main question is 'WHY'. What is the hole we're trying to fill in. Do
> you want people to have quick yet quite deep understanding of basic
> concepts and fundamentals? Do you want people to be more excited about
> Tomcat? Do you want to shed light on an obscure integration pattern that
> is highly useful? Do you want to create a certification that would be
> beneficial for job interviews? Some of the answers might be
> complimentary, but a lot of them are almost opposite to each other, imho.

Why? Because I think that there is a community demand for this. I once
ran a Tomcat training course at ApacheCon for which I did ZERO marketing
(the only marketing was that it was listed as an option when registering
- and an expensive option at that) and ~15 people signed up.

I want to help people understand how to use Tomcat. Hopefully, a
side-effect will be that even more great people show up here.

I'm not interested in creating a certification or anything similar.

HTH explain my thinking.

Mark