On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 8:01 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 04/01/18 11:31, Marek Czernek wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> I think this is a great idea. Before doing any brainstorming though, I
>> wonder about the following:
>>
>> 1. Who'd be the target audience? And what skill level would you want to
>>    target? Any pre-requisites?

People that ask questions on freenode :)

> The short version is whatever the Tomcat community (i.e. the members of
> this list) would find most useful. Possible examples that come to mind are:
> - an introductory course for an experienced sysadmin that knows nothing
> about Tomcat
> - in depth trouble-shooting
>
> But rather than just my random ideas, I'd love to hear what the
> community wants.

I can try and compile a list of questions from my IRC scrollback to
add as ideas. I also started a quickstarts repo on github but that's
mostly focused on tomcat embedded since there isn't much in the way of
examples around. I also considered working on interactive courses and
putting them on https://katacoda.com/.

>> 2. Should it be purely Tomcat, or do you want to talk about various
>>    frameworks that integrate with Tomcat in some manner? (Hibernate
>>    comes to mind, for example)
>
> This is is easy. Purely Tomcat.
>
>> 3. What goals would you like to achieve? I.e., would you want to create
>>    a course for a community and potential future contributors, or would
>>    your goal be a course for experts to get things done asap? Imho
>>    those two goals require different approaches. If the answer is
>>    'both', that could be sub-optimal (though understandable). Or do you
>>    imagine completely different goal(s)?
>
> My original thinking was training for end users of any/all levels.
> However, if there was interest we could add some modules on how to
> become a contributor, committer, PMC member etc.

+1, I sometimes get questions about how to contribute, become a
committer, etc and share my experience (and the CONTRIBUTING guide on
github), but having a more formal document on what to do for our
project would be nice.