Hi Guido,

Am 09.03.2019 um 10:09 schrieb Guido Jäkel:
Dear Mark,

thank you for comments and hints. I would say I have a wide knowledge about
hard and software. But as I'm not working as a software developer, I'm not
familiar with a lot of things in deep. I also don't have key-ready workbenches
or buildchains. But I'll try to locate the corresponding commit using web
access to the git. May I also contact you afterwards for further steps? Should
I try to open an issue on the git or should I start a discussion in the Tomcat
developer mailing list?

To add small hints: the project is available on Github, which provides an easy web interface for basic code archeology. E.g. the class you metioned can be viewed at

https://github.com/apache/tomcat/blob/master/java/org/apache/catalina/startup/ContextConfig.java

and that page contains buttons for "Blame" - which shows when and in which commit each line was changes last, and also "History" which shows the list of changes applied to that file.

The above link if for master (TC 9), but analogous pages exist for each branch, e.g.

https://github.com/apache/tomcat/blob/8.5.x/java/org/apache/catalina/startup/ContextConfig.java

Regards,

Rainer