Am 11.03.2019 um 08:09 schrieb Michael Osipov:
Am 2019-03-10 um 22:29 schrieb Mark Thomas:
On 10/03/2019 20:54, Michael Osipov wrote:
Am 2019-03-10 um 12:16 schrieb Mark Thomas:
On 10/03/2019 09:08, Guido Jäkel wrote:
Dear John, Hi Rainer,

Thank you for your hints. I leaned to used this features on Github
locate the commit - it's

     https://github.com/apache/tomcat/commit/fd2abbb525660a9968694afd99a58f8c22cb54c6

and it was committed by Mark Thomas. I don't know about the Tomcat
project policies, but IMHO in the commit comment there was not any
real hit for the motivation for the change or any reference to an
issue ticket or a pull request. There's just one sentence for the
changelog:

          Ensure that a canonical path is always used for the docBase
of a Context
          to ensure consistent behaviour. (markt)

But I can't get any idea from that what the author (Mark?) want to
say with the terms "ensure" and "consistent". And it's classified as
a "fix", but up to now I was not able to find the use case that is
said to be fixed with this.

  From my point of view, the change lead to something what might be
termed with "inconsistent", because now the link name is used as
docBase, but the link destination is used to decide concrete aspects
of Context loading.

@Rainer: I familiarize me with the blame/history feature and have
located the commit with this. But now, please tell me how to object
against this change? Should I prepare a Git pull request against the
master repository? Should I open an Issue somewhere? And how to
locate the discussion that lead to this change? This should be tied
to prevent flapping and respect and arrange with the motivation there.

Changes aren't made on a whim.  It is recommended that you investigate
why a change was made before objecting to it.

When a commit message in isolation appears to be missing context then
that context can normally be found on the dev@ list. The 24 hours of
dev@ traffic leading up to this commit should provide all the necessary
background.

There aren't any. I see the commit mail in Thunderbird, but no
discussion on the change:

So, what now?

The context is there on the dev@ list in the 24 hours leading up to that
commit.

Sorry, I seem to be blind. Can you point me to the discussion? I can't find anything in my tomcat-dev folder.

I think Mark refers to this one:

https://marc.info/?l=tomcat-dev&m=153856675022101&w=2

Regards,

Rainer