On Tue, 5/14/19, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Does Tomcat server printout System.out.print infor?
 To: users@tomcat.apache.org
 Date: Tuesday, May 14, 2019, 5:37 AM

 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED
 MESSAGE-----

 Karen,

 On 5/11/19 22:39, Karen Goh wrote:
 > Currently, I am uploading a new .war file
 up to my hosting
 > company.
 >
 > However, I am
 puzzled how things work and would like to check what
 > is the norm out there.
 >
 > They are using httpd
 apache server and tomcat.

 > Basically, I have subscribed a private
 Tomcat server so I get an
 > instance of
 Tomcat server - 8.0.27.
 That version is no
 longer supported by the "vendor" (Apache). You
 should tell your hosting company that you want
 a supported version if
 they are going to
 charge you for it :)

May I know what version should I go for ?

 But, the re-start of server is not in my control.

 > I would like to know
 if this is the normal environment in a web
 > hosting company ?

 Inconvenient, perhaps, but not necessarily out
 of the ordinary.

 Another thing is that, in my newly uploaded war file, I
 don't get
 > to see any
 System.out.println infor in my code, which I believe it
 > should be printed out, as per my last log
 file indication in the
 > web hosting
 company.

 If it's
 "their" instance and not yours, then you probably
 won't see
 that. What kind of access do
 you have for the server? If you have
 shell
 access, you can probably get the logs. Using
 System.out.println
 is not a great idea as
 it's pretty inflexible. It's better to use a
 "proper" logging system where you can
 specify the log file name, etc.

I do have access to the Catalina log.
The technical support guy just told me that they have put in the logging jar
for me in their Tomcat server!
 > What they told me is "Only if there
 is system level operation. For

 example, unloading/reloading a war file would have
 logged."

 > So,
 please help me know if it is not possible to see
 > system.out.print infor as what I have put
 in the code in my java
 > class ?
 >
 > Another thing is
 that I am going to put in the Tomcat Realm for the
 >  log-in module and I am wondering where
 is the privacy since I do
 > not have the
 full control over Tomcat in this web hosting
 > environment ?

 If you are using container-managed
 authentication (which is what
 Tomcat Realms
 provide), then you have to trust the hosting provider.
 There is no way to prevent the hosting provider
 from seeing any
 secrets you have in that
 configuration.

I am now mulling if I should use JWT.  In this case, I can skip the Realm
configuration in tomcat right ?

 iQIzBAEBCAAdFiEEMmKgYcQvxMe7tcJcHPApP6U8pFgFAlzZ450ACgkQHPApP6U8
 pFi/EhAAhVS64ib8GzAl6PNLISm/rYeZ765eFg9eqRwCpPnss6ZuW/kD9moznKhN
 cj17X84itq3VihkRV+S/xnVM8TZ7OG71dwyhgrQUDcixuU9F37GVF16K5/gqHrF1
 cu5QrMWw9oPFIEUWEi3jaUJF233Jm9y5IgHCyyieAbcDiCm5Gl9NVd1opQHWBkKZ
 YqH0xGVGxADAf9QiFnkmX5ZEq2REaGr6sV5b2oKgQCKv2iEoCvWxFYuyqG1iIbz1
 wgbHqOy/adSdqvN704HcMaLTB7sfWBppp5RQyzN4Pz0Dx45845JRTWEdZpZ+YTop
 1Xa1NhkYd/MqV+VZoi0Ivd+pvva5cGKR4zPFKXW9KRFw3Gl+cLoQPlyXxN8k3yZv
 PDCDlRqAFoAZakJ6BC4HHarAPJzRWGPON1UWhtXR7VdLXCRhcLcMMZg1UX3n9HJ+
 ycw3haS99/0GPs1kMLNZ2Jk0QGf7v/lrU84PDQG8l27hJ8p4lJ4TqwxqMR0Nx9Uv
 iTpGodreOFJ+FXDegxYZNyrnOyOAuVl6Qi3iTz5bphuUa0FLrcX8pSJIt5PtgEFj
 qr71idqFeagCbbDJw/CtqchhEsTLyvfTFoNcTD2C5xuoG/Bo113/SKi4ffWTagxz
 y+nNPdRaKZ+dR+JotM37+7BYKxtNGnabaNT4nMUT04pHOdCmPSw=
 =kD0S
 -----END PGP
 SIGNATURE-----