On 11.07.2019 21:37, Arbelo, Ralph wrote:
Thank you for your reply, André.

Unfortunately, the Tomcat 9 Ubuntu package is only available on Ubuntu 18 and
19 (at least that I could find). I'm on 16 at the moment (though I did think
about upgrading) which is why I'm using the binary distribution from
tomcat.apache.org.

The good news is I was able to get authbind to work. If anyone is interested in
the steps I used, please let me know.

Yes, of course. The fact of posting this to the mailing list, may help someone else later resolve a similar issue more quickly.
.. if they search the mailing list archive first, of course.

Thanks again,
Ralph