André and Ralph,

On 7/12/19 05:59, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
> On 11.07.2019 21:37, Arbelo, Ralph wrote:
>> Thank you for your reply, André.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the Tomcat 9 Ubuntu package is only available on
>> Ubuntu 18 and 19 (at least that I could find). I'm on 16 at the
>> moment (though I did think about upgrading) which is why I'm
>> using the binary distribution from tomcat.apache.org.
>>
>> The good news is I was able to get authbind to work. If anyone
>> is interested in the steps I used, please let me know.
>>

> Yes, of course. The fact of posting this to the mailing list, may
> help someone else later resolve a similar issue more quickly. .. if
> they search the mailing list archive first, of course.

Sounds like a good thing to add to the Wiki, too.

- -chris

>> Thanks again, Ralph
>>

>> On 7/10/19, 5:29 AM, "André Warnier (tomcat)" <a...@ice-sa.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi. Apologies for breaking conventions of this list and
>> top-posting..
>>
>> It seems that the issue below is more of a question for the
>> Ubuntu list, than Tomcat's.
>>
>> The standard /etc/init.d/tomcat9 startup script included in the
>> Ubuntu tomcat9 package, should allow starting tomcat 9 on port 80
>> without any changes to the tomcat configuration or scripts (other
>> than setting the Connector to port 80 in server.xml). If "it
>> doesn't work", you should consult the Ubuntu user's support list,
>> where you are more likely to find appropriate answers. See here
>> :
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ubuntu.com_suppo
rt_community-2Dsupport&d=DwIDaQ&c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZ
hHbOU&r=yU49ICjDxaD7z2G3Zm_yr4Iprw-m6yW-pk9yfkB8GpE&m=C-ylp1u0rXLaw8PuIu
2iihe8t9J5yoRDho4_9flKXd4&s=5Vjv2foGMSmFIvWhdp77aYdkojYCLQdZ7iYmgP1z16M&
e=

At another level : below, you mention trying authbind (which is
>> what the standard Ubuntu startup script does), but "I could not
>> get it to work". Did you check that the settings of authbind are
>> correct, for port 80 ? See :
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__manpages.ubuntu.c
om_manpages_bionic_man1_authbind.1.html&d=DwIDaQ&c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5
ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZhHbOU&r=yU49ICjDxaD7z2G3Zm_yr4Iprw-m6yW-pk9yfkB8GpE&m=C
- -ylp1u0rXLaw8PuIu2iihe8t9J5yoRDho4_9flKXd4&s=GXIhb1mYfUXA5OiXdNRVVG3HqNX
u29cuaJW44oIbEvY&e=