On 08.10.2019 21:16, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
> On 08.10.2019 17:11, Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) wrote:
>> Does anyone know of any tutorials that would demonstrate how to use any
>> javax.script language in
>> JSPs instead of Java (e.g. using Jython or JavaScript instead)?
>>
>> If not, any advice/hint how to realize/create such a functionality (for then
>> creating such a
>> tutorial instead) would be highly appreciated!
>>

> I know nothing about the subject matter, but was searching Google for
> "javax.script language jsp"
> and found this :
> http://wi.wu.ac.at:8002/rgf/diplomarbeiten/BakkStuff/2010/201007_Ryabenkiy/201007_Ryabenkiy_WebScripting_ApacheTomCat_TagLib.pdf
>
> (look around page 50).
> Does this help ?

Yes and no! :)

This work has been created under my supervision almost ten years ago. :)

The student did an exceptional job and created proof-of-concept taglibs for BSF
(Apache Bean
Scripting Framework) and JSR223 (Java scripting framework 'javax.script') (and
even a
proof-of-concept javax.script implementation for ooRexx).

> On the side, even though (or maybe because) I did not previously know
> anything about this, I found
> this document really impressive in terms of providing a terse but extremely
> readable background of
> the whole thing, all the way to some practical examples, all in less than 100
> pages. And this was
> a bachelor's thesis. So I don't know if it helps you, but I enjoyed it.
*Great!*
:)
> Looking up the author in Google, it doesn't seem that he really needs my
> modest plaudits though.

:)

---

Maybe I should reformulate the request in form of open questions:

  * Is there any container that supports for the page directive the use of any
javax.script language
    such as Jython, ooRexx, et.al.?
  * Is there any official/supported taglib to allow javax.script languages to
be deployed in JSPs
    like demonstrated as a proof-of-concept in Stanislav Ryabenkiy's work? Are
there any initiatives
    for creating such a support?
  * Is there any interest in allowing Java scripting languages to be used in
JSPs as demonstrated as
    a proof-of-concept in Ryabenkiy's work with PHP/Quercus, Python/Jython and
ooRexx?

---rony

P.S.: My request stems from the expectation that by now javax.script languages
are fully supported
in JSPs, which may not be the case at all judging from the answers so far.

P.P.S.: <http://wi.wu.ac.at/rgf/diplomarbeiten/> would list all sorts of
student's work that might
be interesting or of help for others (like the above mentioned Bachelor thesis).