Hi.

On 12.10.2019 02:17, George S. wrote:
I'm a little confused. What would one hope to gain by doing this?

I'm not that much of an expert on Tomcat or its "ecological niche", but in a general overall point of view, I would tend to say that anything that "opens up" tomcat to more programmers and more users cannot really be a bad thing. As an example, maybe off-track : there are a lot of web applications based on ruby, python, javascript, perl, php, etc.. Mostly, they are based on development frameworks similar to the ones for JSP pages, only written in something else than java. Porting these to tomcat using the CGI model is not really practical, and translating them to Java and JSP isn't either. (Apart from the fact that in order to really dominate java, you pretty much have to spend all your time on it.) So if this "javax.script" would provide a shortcut to run, with minimal adaptations, pages written using some of these other languages, if only temporarily and as a prototype, why not ?

Of course there is a cost, and as Christopher previously pointed out, some previous attempt at this did not seem to have had many takers, and it pretty much seems to have died by lack of interest. But then again, in terms of market coverage as a webserver, the cost for tomcat to be "single language centric", is certainly not null either.