-----Original Message-----
From: Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Date: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 19:02
To: "users@tomcat.apache.org" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: Re: File "catalina.out" not being created/populated when using Tomcat
9.0.31 + Ubuntu 20.04, and content goes to the Ubuntu syslog instead?

    Le 23/06/2020 à 19:48, Brian a écrit :

    > It seems that rsyslogd is still unable to deal with
"/var/log/tomcat9/catalina.out".
    > What could be wrong now? Do you have any ideas?

    I got the permissions wrong, the adm group is now allowed to write to
    /var/log/tomcat9 but not to enter it. Try 2770 instead of 2760.

    Emmanuel Bourg

Hi Emmanuel,

Good news: I updated "/etc/tmpfiles.d/tomcat9.conf" (the file I created) with
the new value of 2770. Deleted all the logs inside "/val/log/tomcat9" and
restarted Ubuntu. "catalina.out" got created and populated.
Bad news: Then I deleted all the logs inside "/val/log/tomcat9" and just
restarted Tomcat (which is something I do sometimes, in production).
"catalina.out" didn't get created this time.

Just to confirm, again I deleted all the logs inside "/val/log/tomcat9" and
restarted Ubuntu. "catalina.out" got created and populated again.

Any ideas?

Brian