-----Original Message-----
From: Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Date: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 20:01
To: "users@tomcat.apache.org" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: Re: File "catalina.out" not being created/populated when using Tomcat
9.0.31 + Ubuntu 20.04, and content goes to the Ubuntu syslog instead?

    Le 24/06/2020 à 02:35, Brian a écrit :

    > Good news: I updated "/etc/tmpfiles.d/tomcat9.conf" (the file I created)
with the new value of 2770. Deleted all the logs inside "/val/log/tomcat9" and
restarted Ubuntu. "catalina.out" got created and populated.
    > Bad news: Then I deleted all the logs inside "/val/log/tomcat9" and just
restarted Tomcat (which is something I do sometimes, in production).
"catalina.out" didn't get created this time.

    > Just to confirm, again I deleted all the logs inside "/val/log/tomcat9"
and restarted Ubuntu. "catalina.out" got created and populated again.

    > Any ideas?

    The catalina.out file is held by rsyslogd and isn't recreated unless you
    restart rsyslogd. Try this when you clean the logs and restart Tomcat:

      systemctl restart rsyslog tomcat9

Hi,

I just realized that when the "bad news" experiment took place, in the syslog
there was NOT another of those " file '/var/log/tomcat9/catalina.out': open
error: Permission denied.." errors, so I guess it was not a permissions issue
anymore, which makes me think that the "2770" value finally solved that issue.
That is nice, thanks!
OK, I restarted rsyslog and the started again Tomcat as you adviced and... you
are right, the catalina.out file got created again. So I think you are right
about rsyslogd still holding the log file.

To be honest with you, I'm happy about the catalina.out file finally getting
created and I really appreciate your kind help, I really do. But I'm not really
happy about having to restart rsyslog before every time I need to restart
Tomcat. It is weird, and I guess a lot of users will never imagine that they
have to do that and they will not feel very pleased when they realize that the
catalina.out file doesn't get created after restarting Tomcat. And probably
most of them will not even notice that the Tomcat log is being added to the
syslog, for that matter. This whole new relation between syslog and Tomcat is
really weird and I don't think the users are being warned about it. I have used
Tomcat+Ubuntu for several years and I haven't seen this complication before. If
there is an advantage about this relation between syslog and Tomcat, I really
can't see it.

Thanks again!

Brian