Jon,

On 9/8/23 17:09, Mcalexander, Jon J. wrote:
It would be something that combines all 4 of your items below. I
would be looking for something that can just give health status of
Tomcat and the apps being hosted by that instance. This
wouldn't/shouldn't have any "Admin" rights to do anything other than
provide info. HTML is fine, but I think from an automation and
dashboard reporting standpoint the json/xml stream/soap
response/whatever would be best.
Does the existing non-GUI Manager interface not already provide what you are looking for? Or maybe JMX (possibly via the JMXProxyServlet)? Direct access to JMX /does/ mean that the connecting client has very high privileges, though.

Now, in my possibly short sited view of the world, if wishes were
fishes type of thing, to ME it would be awesome if this was
automagically available via startup without having to do anything
special in the server.xml to make that app available only to
localhost on such and such port. Know what I mean? An instant
statement of health localhost URL. 😊
I think the term "health[y]" might mean different things to different people. I think if you need something to be available that reports healthiness of your own service and application, you should probably build-to-suit.

-chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Sent: Friday, September 8, 2023 3:46 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Enhancement request?

Jon,

On 9/8/23 14:21, Mcalexander, Jon J. wrote:
In seeing the latest messages about the manager application, something
that I and my team would LOVE to have is just a Status app that provides all
the items status wise that the Manager app does, without any of the
"Application Management" like restarting an app, etc. I know all the pieces
are out there in Catalina.jar, but I don't have the developer knowledge to put
it together in a separate servlet that just calls the items needed from
Catalina.

Is this something that any of the guru's have thought about putting
together? I'm thinking it would be best to just be a web service, no gui, that
you can call and get the json or xml output with the data so it can be
incorporated into a dashboard.

Are you looking for...

1. Something with more limited capabilities (for less-trusted admins, or to
reduce the possibilities for hacking)

2. Something with fewer distractions

3. Something with a JSON/XML interface instead of HTML

4. Something which has fewer lines of code

?

Or some combination of the above, or something else?

-chris