On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 1:57 PM Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Aryeh,
>
> On 1/20/24 4:19 AM, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> > Top posting since my comments are not 100% relevant to the issue in
> > the thread (i.e. related but not in detail).
> >
> > It would be nice if Tomcat published EOL's since there are
> > applications (like HIPAA webapps [I do remote cardiac monitoring])
> > that are automatically declared to be insecure if the underlying
> > platform has any EOL'ed components (this why just upgraded from 9.0.35
> > to 9.0.85) and in some cases (like HIPAA) have goverment imposed fines
> > if there is a breach due to using EOL'ed components.   Thus there is a
> > need for known/published EOL dates in such apps.
>
> What makes you think that we don't publish EOLs?
>
> There is an EOL date for Tomcat 8.5. There is no EOL date for Tomcat 9
> (yet). Shall we just pick a date far into the future and say "we know
> that 3 years from now, you are out of luck"? Or should we want until we
> know what the data is going to be and /then/ publish it?
>
> We have an (unwritten) policy to give 1 year of notice for any EOL
> announcement. We aren't going to say "oh BTW this is the last release
> YOLO" and walk away.
>
> The announcement for 8.5's EOL date (2024-03-31) was made on 2022-12-13,
> over a year in advance.
>
> The announcement for 8.0's EOL date (2018-06-30) was made on 2017-06-30,
> exactly a year in advance.
>
> The announcement for 7.0's EOL date (2021-03-31) was made on 2020-03-02,
> a year in advance.
>
> The announcement for 6.0's EOL date (2016-12-31) was made on 2015-06-03,
> 18 months in advance. There were security updates made to Tomcat 6 which
> extended *beyond* that EOL date, so we even supported it *after* the
> announced EOL date.
>
> You will have plenty of notice.

Thanks for clarifying that.

> HIPAA does not have a fine structure for use of out-of-date software. If
> you suffer a breach and an investigation reveals that a CE or BA was
> using software with known, unpatched vulnerabilites, *that's* what gets
> you into trouble.

Not completely true while "officially" your correct in reality OCR
(Office of Civil Rights of HHS) has a number of times said that EOL'ed
is tell-tell sign of not meeting the security rule:

https://www.proactive-info.com/blog/how-hipaa-compliance-relates-to-end-of-life

If you wish I can send you privately a sanitized version of report we
wrote for our client that details the implications of EOL and our
current system (which we just did a whole sale upgrade specifically
for HIPAA reasons and was triggered by a CVE posted on this list
[among a few other minor CVE's in other system components]).