What can be gained is a measure of civility.  I don't think someone who
deliberately does something offensive to achieve their own ends is in a
position to say when their behavior is properly handled.  Some people just
have a hard time putting themselves into the position of others, or don't
care whom they offend.  You would be, I would think, the very last person in
the world to adjudicate when this topic is finished.  However, you might
have noticed that it was finished before you came back.