Andrew,

  I have read your pointed link and now I am able to check the number of active
  sessions for our application. I cannot modify anything on the target machine
  but the ant tool was already installed so we prepared a build.xml file with a
project with default target list (using the example provided on the link) and
we got this useful info:

  Before trying to login:

      [list] /mywebapp:running:0:mywebapp

  This time we couldnt get the expected and the login was successful, then we
ran
  again ant:

      [list] /mywebapp:running:1:mywebapp

  and this time seems that we have 1 active session. Then we logout and ran
again
  the ant which is still giving 1 active session. Do you know if this session
remains
  active till session-timeout? The session-timeout for this app is defined in
web.xml
  to 10 (which we assume is 10 minutes).

  Finally we got the error and this time the ant output was:

   [list] /mywebapp:running:2:mywebapp

  so it seems that when we have 2 active sessions we reach the maximum
  number of simultaneous users, but we saw that maxusers=20 in web.xml file for
this web app, do you understand  why we are getting the error?

  On the other side we saw that it does exist another manager task which is
sessions
  that gives a stats of the sessions for a web app, but we dont know how to
prepare
  a build.xml file with this target, could you point us how to do it?

  Thanks again,