Looks like it was the 'username'. The username is being initialised in
the taglib handler implementation but the behaviour differs between
JRun and Tomcat.

In the layout template jsp for the admin console, we use a taglib that
checks if a user is logged in or not. The following snippet works on
JRun.

<users:login loginpage="login.jsp" />

Now this can also accept other attributes (if the expected request
param names were different). I updated it for Tomcat like this:

<users:login loginpage="login.jsp" logout="logout" username="username"
password="password" />

While 'username', 'password' and 'logout' are initialised to the
default values in the taglib handler implementation, the setter method
for these attributes still gets called when they are not specified in
the JSP, and NULL values are assumed for them. That's the only
explanation I can think of :-)

What is the correct behaviour? Any ideas.

Cheers,

Rahul