A few things...

First, what type of apostrophe are you using? Are you using a typical ascii apostrophe (') or are you using the Microsoft slanted apostrophe that comes out of word documents (′)?

Here are two links that describe the problem:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/windows-chars.html
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html#win

Now after reading that you're still having issues, then here is what needs to be done to get utf-8 encoding to work.

If you're using mod_jk make sure that the ajp connector is set up to encode using utf-8 like so:

<Connector port="8009" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3" URIEncoding="UTF-8" />

Next, make sure that the request AND response have been set to use utf encoding. The request MUST have its character encoding set BEFORE any request parameters are requested or the request will default to the machines character encoding.

public class ContentTypeFilter implements Filter
{
private static org.apache.log4j.Logger log = org.apache.log4j.Logger.getLogger("tracking");

 public void init(FilterConfig config)
 {
 }

 public void destroy()
 {
 }

public void doFilter(ServletRequest request, ServletResponse response, FilterChain filterChain) throws IOException, ServletException
 {
    request = (HttpServletRequest)request;
    request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");

    response.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");
    response.setContentType("text/html;charset=UTF-8");

    filterChain.doFilter(request, response);
 }
}

Finally, I would also set the meta header on the jsp page to be utf-8 just to be complete...

Regards...